Monday, March 11, 2013

Task 2 Deliverable-Web 2.0 Tool, Thinglink.com

Hey everyone!

So the web 2.0 tool that I selected was Thinglink, which is a site that allows users to create interactive images through the use of tagging various medias like videos, podcasts, websites, articles, other images, songs, recordings, and etc. I really enjoyed this tool because its free, easy to use, and adds a unique perspective on presentations.

When I first saw this site I was instantly attracted to it, that I created an account and made a few interactive images myself. After using this tool, I've decided I could see myself using this with my future students. As in writing you need to include your sources as well your own thoughts to blend the information; with Thinglink you can do just that. With the description box and the tagging aspect of Thinglink students will be able to include their sources as well as their own take on the information and share it as marker on an image that symbolizes the topic. But as you already know tagging isnt limited to websites or articles, but allows room for a wide spectrum of medias.

Prior to this activity, Google was my go to search engine...basically for everything. I would usually google phrases like "a list of web 2.0 tools" or "web 2.0 tools for the classroom", most of the time they would lead me to articles or websites that had a list of 2.0 tools to select from. My search actually lead me to a website that centered on web 2.0 tools according to skills, at the time I wasnt searching for a specific tool but I did bookmark the site to come back too. Bookmarking the site was a good idea as I actually went back to browse the entire website thus stumbling onto Thinglink.

If you're using Google in your selection process of  any web 2.0 tool, I'd use phrases  like "web 2.0 tool reviews for __(insert specific skill; i.e. creativity)__", "best of 2012 web 2.0 tools", or "web 2.0 tools for ___(insert specific skill; i.e. interactive presentations)", I think these would help narrow down your search. However, there are so many sources at our finger tips it will still take time to sort through the options, especially if you're like me and like to test the site out for yourself.

Overall this assignment was really fun and I'm glad I found a tool that puts a unique twist on creativity and presentations.

No comments:

Post a Comment